Sunday, July 24, 2005

On the Campaign Trail


1 Centre St: the home of the Borough President's office, and where I met some important people this week. I spent all my free time the last three days tagging along with Virginia Field's staff to see her/them in action as they campaign for Mayor of New York City. On Thursday I attended a heated meeting at P.S. 20 on the lower east side, in which Chinese-American parents were protesting the cutting of after school programs by the current administration. I was by her side as she was interviewed for two news station, and had people pitching their viewpoint to me as if I represented her. The highlight was when a 9 year old boy recognized us as the only white guys in the room, and tugged at our shirts and asked, "Excuse me, are you the government?" What do you say to that, since the question really meant, "Excuse me, are you the people my parents are mad at?" Posted by Picasa

No comments: