Friday, August 15, 2008

PhD Application Process

I've decided to apply for a PhD to start next fall, August 2009. I'm nervous but extremely excited. After a lot of thought, research, advice, prayer, etc, we've narrowed down the short list to 7 fantastic schools. In no particular order, the schools are UNC, Harvard, Berkeley, Michigan, Yale, Duke and George Washington. The first five would be to the respective schools of public health, while the final two would be in health policy programs through the schools of public policy. Each of these schools is extremely competetive, but after great conversations with faculty at each place, I feel I am within reach and am excited to give it a shot. Which is my first choice? It's hard to say since I love each of the schools for many reasons. Truth be told, part of me is going to be dissapointed to not go to the other six I turn down or don't get into, because they are all so unique and great. That being said, I don't think I could turn down an acceptance from Harvard, for example. The political analysis program is absolutely first rate and puts you on track to a great career teaching at the best universities in the country. After 2 years of living in a beautiful smaller town, we're not sure we're ready for big city living (notice Columbia isn't on the list?), but somehow Boston feels different and special. Mostly because it's so close to Montreal and Ottawa, the two cities I called home between 99 and 07. Applications are due Dec 1, Dec 15, Dec 31, Jan 1 and Jan 15, and we won't know where we're accepted to unti March or so. Anything can happen, but we couldn't be more grateful for the oppotunities on the horizon.

No comments: