Thursday, June 24, 2010

What a Relief



I thought it would be a lot of fun to be in France during the world cup. Unfortuntaley, the French campaign turned out to be a complete disaster, and it looked as though the US might not make it through. Almost literaly at the very last moment, a Landon Donovan goal kept things alive. This feels like justice after the two goals that were wrongfully disallowed against the US, either of which would have made the difference between being eliminated or not. Thank goodness none of that matters anymore. The amazing thing is that the US won the group and avoided a match with Germany and then a possible match with Argentina. Instead they have Ghana and the winner of South Korea and Uruguay. No team is easy, but I feel like the semis are a real possibility.

I didn't get to see the whole game because I was touring the beautiful towns of Quimper and Vannes in western Bretagne (I know, poor me), but I did see part of it from the street while looking into a restaurant and had some fun conversations with people doing the same as me.

No comments: