Thursday, October 12, 2006

Yankee Pitcher Dies


Cory Liddle

Sometimes wierd and tragic things just happen. What happened to Yankee pitcher Cory Lidle yesterday affected me in a couple different ways. Firstly, I am a New Yorker and am always sad when something tragic happens in my city. It also makes me feel a bit vulnerable, in that the apartment I just moved from was also on the river, though at a different spot on the island. My Dad lives in a building by the river. What if the plane had been closer to finishing a whole circle around Manhattan? On a different level, the images of a plane flying into a building, of firemen rushing up into a building and of New Yorkers worringly looking up at a burning building obviously brought a myraid of feelings to the surface. I can't speak for all New Yorkers, but I always had the feeling that we all sense it is just a matter of time before the next big attack comes. You don't know which day it will be or where or with you will be when it happens, but it feels a bit imminent. When I read the headlines: "Plane crashes into NYC building," what do you think goes on in my head? Thankfully, this was just an accident, and only two people were killed. Of course, one of them happens to also be a member of the New York Yankees. In case you haven't noticed, I am a big Yankee fan, so this feels like it hits a little closer to home and puts the sport in perspective. When stuff like this happens, it makes you feel a bit more appreciative for every day you have, and for how great your wife and life are.

1 comment:

grandpabingham said...

Any tragedy is sad and a family is bound to suffer. We knew that a Yankee fan would be touched more than anyone else. We would like your new e-mail. Love, Grandma and Grandpa Bingham