Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Remembrance Day

What we call Veteran's Day in the States is called Remembrance Day up here. The Canadians seem to do a better job of honoring their soldiers, getting a 3 day weekend (I can't even remember if they do in the States) and having lots of ceremonies. Remembrance Day is Nov 11th, which I think is the anniversary of the end of World War I (thank you Kerrie). During the week leading up to the 11th, everyone wears a little red plastic poppy on their lapel as a reminder of the sacrifices that gave and protected our freedoms. I am very grateful for all the men and women who are willing to put everything on the line for others. While I desperately wish we didn't have wars, and I don't agree with the cause motivating most of the world's current conflicts, I am so grateful for the Americans and Canadians who love their country enough to go where their commander in chief sends them. As Remembrance Day approached, one of my assignments in my internship was to write a newspaper column for Rob Merrifield, the Member of Parliament I work for. It's kinda tough to write a newspaper as if you're someone else, but it was a good experience. It went through a couple revisions by the rest of team after it left my hands, but I'm still proud of the final product. Go to his website to read the article and scroll down to the Oct 26th posting. Here's a copy of the draft I wrote.

No comments: