Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Campaign



As you know, Obama and Clinton are virtually tied in the delegate count for the Democratic nomination with roughly 3/5 the country having voted. Who knew that the NC primary in May might be one of the more important ones? Like I have said already, I am supporting Obama, but with tremendous respect for both Sen. Clinton and McCain, and yes for Mike Huckabee as well. There are things about each of them I have liked for a number of years. That being said, Obama is the one that I think can actually get substantive legislation through congress in 2009. It's hard to imagine Hillary getting major health reform through, or McCain trying to get the type of reform I think we need. While Obama's plan isn't quite as ambitious as Hillary's, it seems much more politically realistic to me. Not only that, but with him at the top of the ticket, and with the unusually high number of Republicans retiring in Congress, I think the Democrats would be in a strong position to pick up seats in both the Senate and the House. Probably not enough to get the "super majority" 60% needed in the Senate, but enough to be able to move things along. Hillary might be the main reason many conservative voters (who don't love McCain) make it to the polls in November, meaning that she, democrat majorities, health reform and other initiatives would be so much more unlikely. Even still, like I've said before, if she does win the nomination, I will be behind her.

No comments: