Friday, May 26, 2006

Blue Angels


While sitting at my desk at work yesterday morning I suddenly heard a really loud airplane fly by. It was alarming enough that 6 or 7 of us immediately stood up and asked each other "what was that?" We went to the window and watched a large plane fly right by our building so low that it was at eye level (I'm on the 11th floor of a 40+ story building) within blocks of wall street and ground zero. We watched as it flew away from us over Brooklyn, but then started making a huge loop heading towards the Statue of Liberty and right over our neighborhood again. As it got closer someone recognized it as part of the Blue Angels. Apparently this is a Marine Corps arial stunt team that was either having a show or practicing. Maybe I was alone in this thought, but I didn't really enjoy the experience! The top picture is the plane we initially saw, the other pic is of the 6 fighter jets we saw during the second loop. For the record, I did not take these pictures, but it felt like I was about this close.

2 comments:

Steenson Family Blog said...

They came to Arco, ID- if you can believe that!! I will never forget it- it was so fabulous to watch them- they were performing here for two days. I loved it

D. Jones said...

Under different circumstances I might have enjoyed it more, except I didn`t like the feeling of being blocks away from ground zero as an initially unidentifiable plane was flying at eye level.