Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sept 10, 1932

2 initial thoughts: 1) I can't believe this is the third 9/11 I'm writing about on my blog; time flies. 2) I really don't have it in me to say anything about Sept 11,2001 today, so I'm going to commemorate a different anniversay about city I grew up in and love. ou can read my 2006 and 2005 9/11 posts by clicking on each year. Sept 10, 1932 was the first time the A train made the trip from one end of Manhattan all the way down to the other end. Growing up in Washington Heights, the A train was my lifeline and connection to the rest of the city and I'm sure that on average I probably took the A train about 2 times every day of my childhood. Going to Jr. High, I rode it to 168th where I transferred to the downtown 1 to Harlem. During High School I also transferred at 168th, but rode it uptown to the Bronx. Going to work during my summer jobs I rode it either to 42nd and then went crosstown if I was working on the east side, or rode it all the way to the Chambers St. if I was working on Wall St. Of course it got me halfway to Yankee Stadium, I'd transfer at 145th for the uptown D. Anyway, to commemorate the 75th anniversary of that first ride from the top to the bottom of Manhattan, the MTA ran a few old trains dating back to before WWII. Of course I live in North Carolina and didn't get to ride one, but here's the link to the article in today's NY Times.

No comments: