Sunday, March 09, 2008

HPAA = Champions

Led by our fearless captian Brad Heaton, fellow classmates and I from the dept of Health Policy and Administration (HPAA) won the intramural tournament at UNC!! Of course it's the co-ed league, not the 5-5 guys league, and it was the recreational, not competitive league, but we're feeling pretty good about ourselves. It was a tough tournament in which we had to win 5 games after a 1st round bye in order to be crowned champions. Entering the tourney ranked 22 out of 50+ teams we won by beating the #5, #2 and #1 teams. The final was our toughest game. Down by 8 with 2:30 left, Lauren hit some clutch free throws, Gabe's defene forced some turnovers, and Morris hit a big three pointer to end up with us having the ball in a tied game with 25 seconds left. Morris held for the last possession, passed to Brad who drove the lane and got fouled as he threw up a tough shot. The miracle was the ball went in! He missed the free throw, but there wasn't enough time for the other team to get something together. All of a sudden we were champions! We got a couple t-shirts, our photos taken and had tons of fun. Morris was named tourney MVP (well deserved) and we're looking forward to doing it again next year with 8 of 11 players returning (and a good recruiting class on the way). Click here to see the tournament bracket (though be aware that the point totals got screwed up as sometimes it seems that the team with less points advanced). Here some photos of the celebration:




This video is proof that I scored in the championship game. I averaged about 7-8 points during the regular season and first couple rounds of the tournament, but as we got into the sweet sixteen and elite 8, the guys that were guarding me got better and better and my average dropped to 4-5 points. Of course I didn't care one bit as I was doing my part to help our team win, but I'm glad I made my free throws in the final game. Since we ended up winning by only 2 points, you could say these were the game winning shots (even though they occured with 5 minutes left in the first half....)


No comments: