Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Car accident


Yesterday was quite a day. I had a wonderful morning at the Capitol building getting ready for the hearing for one of our bills which has been making the nightly news and the cover of the Boise paper. I found out that that my degree from McGill had cleared every last hurdle and was officially awarded (if you remember my "deportation" posts, then you can appreciate the additional relief I felt at this news), and I also found out that if offered a job, I can get on the fast track to a work visa and legally work in Montreal. This was great news since I'm hoping to spend as much time in Montreal as possible for my convocation in June, the jazz fest in July (which I still haven't ever attended) and of course to be near the lovely Sarah. Feeling good about life and wanting to spend some time meditating, I decided to go to the Temple, which is less than a mile from home. As I turned into the parking lot, a car in the far lane came from behind cars backed up waiting for a stop light and slammed into the front right of my car. While I'm pretty sore today, I luckily walked away with no injury. While my car didn't sound perfect, it did make it home after the accident as well. Because my insurance only covers damage done to other vehicles, Alan and I got pretty creative this morning trying to get my car up and running. I also took it to a mechanic who said that it should last me the rest of my time in Boise as long as I don't try it on the highway, which is fine since I can get to work on the regular city streets.

We took the hood off and moved things around so nothing was rubbing against the belt anymore. We were also able to bend back some of the metal so it's not quite so disformed.

Alan put his welding skills to use on my hood so that it would latch down properly (well, at least close to properly).

While this has been a terrible experience, at least I had an excuse to wear these cool coveralls and this cool welding mask.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

wow...the welding outfit really makes it ALL worth the experience! I'm jealous!