Wednesday, March 01, 2006

House Bill 681 Dies

What I love most about my internship in the Idaho House of Representatives is the chance to work behind the scenes to move important legislation forward. Rep. Margaret Henbest is absolutely fantastic, and has let me be closely involved on a number of issues, including house bill 681 which proposed eliminating junk food from school vending machines. I did a lot of the research which Rep. Henbest used in her testimony to the House Education Committee last Friday (Feb 24) and was flattered that she referred to me by name. We had strong support from almost a dozen organizations, including the Idaho PTA, Regence Blue Shield, Healthwise and one or two parents from off the street. Not surprisingly, there was some opposition from groups like the American Beverage Association, but in their own words, it was "not a scathing opposition." After 2 hours of testimony and discussion, the very conservative committee voted 13-5 to hold the bill and prevent it from receiving a full vote on the House floor, citing concern that it unnecessarily takes power from the local school districts, and that if they were able to initiate the same restrictions, then it would be much more successful. I understand their concern, but it was very dissapointing to be shot down on something I had worked so hard on. That's the nature of the job I guess, and as my dad reminded me, just by putting this bill out there and getting the issue talked about we've accomplished a lot. It made the cover of the biggest paper in Idaho last week. Here are some links to press coverage: Channel 8, Idaho Statesman. On a positive note, House Bill 614 which I've done a lot of work with Rep. John Rusche passed the Health & Welfare Committee 12-0 and is expected to pass the House tom morning (Thu Mar 2). It's a great bill and I'm proud to be a part of it. I'll write more about it as it winds its way through the Senate.

1 comment:

Steenson Family Blog said...

AS soon as we saw this in the paper we mourned for the bill... and you! It has been a few days now- but we were thinking about you on this one- I'm so sorry.
Tara