Sunday, March 26, 2006

Church with the Prophet


My cousin Michelle Bingham and I woke up around 6am last Sunday morning to catch a ride to the Salt Lake City area with my mom as she and Kent began their long drive back to California (did I mention they've moved from NYC to Cali?) The word that comes to mind when thinking of the experiences Michelle and I had is serendipitous. If you heard Elder Bednar's talk last April then you'll understand what I mean by suggesting it was one of the "tender mercies of the Lord." Without knowing when it started, we happened to get to the conferrence center 3 minutes before the Mormon Tabernacle began the 3,994th broadcast of "The Music and the Spoken Word," the longest running show in broadcast history. There really is nothing like hearing this choir in person. The highlight was happening to be in the same ward as President Hinckley and President Faust during Sacrament Meeting. It's hard to describe the emotions and excitement we felt to be a few pews away from the Prophet of God as he partook of the sacrament. He's been the prophet since 95, when I was 14 years old and uninterested in his message. Now he's coming up on his 96th birthday and I feel incredibly grateful for his life, as it has had a major impact in shaping mine.

No comments: