Sunday, July 02, 2006

Happy Canada Day!


July 1st was a great day for my 2 new countries. Dad and I went to Le Bar Tabac, a charming french bistro in Brooklyn to hold our breath with 80 new french friends while Les Bleus managed to stun the Brazilians, knocking one of the favorites out of the tournement and advancing to the semifinal round on Wednesday. I've loved rooting for France in the World Cup, especially to watch how they've improved with each game. After the 0-0 tie with Switzerland for example, I didn't think they'd even make the knockout phase, and now all of a sudden I can picture them in the finals! What a fun day. It was also fun because it was Canada Day, the equivalent of Independence Day in the US. I have no idea why they celebrate it on July 1st, other than perhaps trying to do things as similarly as the Americans without being too obvious (I'm kidding, calm down!) Of course, Quebec already celebrated their "national" holiday on June 24th.

No comments: