Thursday, September 14, 2006

Montreal Shooting

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in Rob Merrifield's office, a member of Parliament from Alberta, when we saw on the tv that there was a shooting at a Montreal junior college. When I got home I learned that a 25 year old man opened fire at Dawson College, which is just down the street from McGill University where I want to school, and directly across the street from a popular shopping center and a movie theater I've been to many times. I've been relieved to receive confirmation that I everyone I know is ok, including some of my young men who are just starting at Dawson. As a New Yorker in a post 9/11 world, I think I can understand the feelings that will come to these students as they try to get back to school at some point. There's this feeling hanging in the air that anything could happen at any time, that the world doesn't quite make sense in the same way it used to. But I offer my full support to these youth and my testimony that things can get back to normal, and you don't need to feel scared, that everything is ok. My favorite scripture when I feel scared like this is John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you, my PeaceI give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

No comments: