Saturday, December 09, 2006

Christmas Staff Dinner



One of the reasons I pushed so hard to get from NYC early this week was so I could make it back in time for my staff Christmas dinner. Rob Merrifield, the Member of Parliament I've been interning with since September was nice enough to take the three of us and our spouses out to dinner at the Parliamentary Restaurant. It's a pretty swank place on the 6th floor of Parliament. You need to be staff or a member to eat there, but the prices are quite reasonable ($15 for a phenomenal filet mignon). We had a great time and it meant a lot to me that Sarah and I were included. Before dinner we met in his office to take pictures and exchange gifts. The staff gave Rob a copy of the most recent Canadian Bill of Rights signed by the Prime Minister at the time (it was fairly recent, 20th century). They all gave Sarah and I a beautiful portrait of the Parliament Building, a beautiful coffee-table dish and coasters that were from the floor of the original library of parliament! If you remember my October post about how amazing the Library is then you'll know how cool a gift this is. My internship will end next week and I feel so grateful for the experience I've had working with Rob and becoming friends with Michael and Ranelle. I have learned a ton about politics and legislating, and my love for Canada has deepened considerably (especially since they keep letting me back in the country!)

No comments: