Wednesday, December 06, 2006

DC Photos






Over the weekend I took a bus down to Washington DC so I could spend some time with my mom, who was there for a conference. She was in meetings during the day Saturday, so I had a great time sight-seeing. If you've seen my last DC post, from June 2005, then I can't use my joke about all the good real estate being taken. If you haven't, then you should explore the archives a little. The top picture is of the Capital Building from Pennsylvania Ave. The 2nd picture is the inside of the beautiful dome. It's so high that if you took the Statue of Liberty off her pedestal, she could stand up in there and still not touch the top! The third is the room where the House of Reps used to sit back when Abraham Lincoln was a Congressman. The acoustics in there are crazy, such that you can't whisper without everyone hearing every word you say. Terrible for politicians! In the basement of the Capital is the old Supreme Court chambers, which is still only lit by oil lamps. Of course the room isn't used for anything now, but it's fun to imagine how dark it must've been for those judges. As for the White House photo, you should have seen the protesters out front. There is one guy who beats a drum constantly, and apparently has a 24 hour vigil going with a couple other people. There was another guy dressed up as Pres Bush, but with horns and other devilish apparel. I don't like Pres. Bush's policies, but that might be a little over the top!

No comments: