Friday, September 05, 2008

Greensboro Half Marathon

I'm deep into my training for my 4th half marathon and couldn't be more excited. It will be on Oct 18th in Greensboro, NC (the pic is of the course map). I created a 17 week training plan which started on July 30th. It's hard to believe how quickly time goes by, but now I'm already on week 11. These next 3-4 weeks are the peak of the training when I'll have 13, 14, and 15 mile runs, along with plenty of 3, 5, 6, and 9 mile runs.

The summer months were really tough as it was so humid, but I've adjusted and am getting faster again now that the weather's getting nicer. I'm still not that fast, but have gotten pretty comfortable running anywhere from 7-9 minutes per mile (depending on the distance). I haven't had too many runs longer than 9 miles since the Raleigh half marathon on April 5th, so I'm not expected to be able to maintain that pace for 13.1 miles (21.1km). My goal is to finish in less than 1:59:55, which apparently was the average time for everyone that finished a half marathon in 2007. My personal record is 2:07, so I'm certainly in reach. I would have to average a 9:10 pace, and think I can do it.

The thing I love about running is how individual the goals are and how they help see progression. For many people these times seem incredibly easy, for others they seem completely out of reach. They used to be for me, but hopefully aren't anymore.

No comments: