Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy NIT, I mean, Thanksgiving

Since I was twelve, my dad and I always spent the day before and the day after Thanksgiving at Madison Square Garden, watching four of the best college basketball teams in the country battle it out. I can honestly say that this is my favorite Thanksgiving tradition , mostly because of the years and years of memories I've shared with my dad. So while I'm stuck at school during a regular day in Canada (remember my post from early October, that they had thanksgiving on Columbus day?), I'm getting nostalgic about all those years at the garden.

Nothing sums up the tradition better than a picture of AJ Guyton from Indiana Univ. I won't go into it, but dad will understand (Remember Indiana vs. Duke in 96? That was the first time we saw "my man AJ Guyton.") Some other memorable years include UMass beating the national champs UNC in 93 (despite being in a huge UMass cheering section, I decided to cheer for UNC who lost in dramatic fashion), the night we saw Marbury and Iverson as college freshman and that blind/drunk lion mascot that didn't root or correspond to any team! I can't keep a straight face while thinking of that lion, a mystery we never solved. Happy thanksgiving Dad, and to anyone else reading this. I'm glad they have a christmas season tourney at MSG so we have been able to start a secondary tradition (though the teams are never as good, the seats are always better).

No comments: