Thursday, January 05, 2006

Happy New Year


My friend Sarah came down from Montreal for new year's eve weekend and I had a great time showing her around the city. We went to Greenwich village, central park, the new temple, the Empire State building, grand central station, battery park, Rockerfeller Center, the statue of liberty and anywhere else I could think of. After an evening of sight seeing on the 31st, we found ourselves in Grand Central station at 11:25pm. Being just a few blocks east of Times Square we figured "what the heck" and took the shuttle train over. Of course just as we're about to enter these massive barricades the police used to control traffic I realized I had to go to the bathroom(times square was never easier to walk through, I wish they controled pedestrian traffic like that all the time down there!) . We waited on line at the nearby Burger King for 20 min, and then joined some people in a light jog, ending up at our spot on 40th and 7th at 11:56pm! We were just in time to do the countdown and watch the fireworks and get a NYE midnight kiss (strictly out of obligation of course). It's been 23 years since I became a new yorker (as a 2 year old) and this was my first NYE in Times Square. Grandma was thrilled to talk to someone on a cell phone who was at the place she had just watched on TV.

No comments: