Thursday, January 12, 2006

Harry Reid in Pocatello

I showed up at the Capitol building around 1pm yesterday and was asked if I was going to Pocatello with the rest of the Democrats. I knew Senator Harry Reid was speaking in Pocatello, but I had been told it was Thursday, and that it cost a little bit more money than I had, so I told them no. I happened to bump into the right person who said there was a ticket someone had paid for but couldn't use so I could go for free if I wanted to, but I had to be ready to leave in 15 minutes. So, somewhat spontaneously, I soon found myself sitting on a chartered bus with most of the Democrat legislators of the state, including House Minority Leader Wendy Jaquet, Senate Minority Leader Clint Stennett, Boise Mayor David Beiter, as well as plenty of journalists, interns, campaign managers, etc. Needless to say it was an interesting ride over there, meeting active people and overhearing policy talk. On a personal note, it was especially strange to be back on the roads I drove as a missionary. In a little less than 4 hours we were at the Idaho State University Student Union building, seperating into groups going to pre-dinner gathering or to a fancy reception for the high donors. I almost followed all the interns and younger people into the student union, but waited to be handed my actual ticket, and found out that I scored a ticket to the super fancy high priced gathering at a private home where Senator Reid would be making an appearance. In case you don't know, Harry Reid is the minority leader for the US Senate, essentially the highest ranking Democrat in the nation, who also happens to be a member of the same Church as me. I was grateful to have gone to the small reception where I had the opportunity to shake his hand and thank him for his example. It really is inspiring for me to see a soft-spoken, humble, LDS man rise to such a level of achievement and leadership. After the small reception we were shuttled back to ISU where Reid spoke at a dinner for 400 people. He is a good speaker and spoke of values and the responsibility to care for the needy. Someone mentioned being in the same "ward" with Reid in Virginia, and not knowing that I was LDS, the girl I was sitting next to explained that a ward is a mormon term for congregation, but that her mom says the only wards she knows about are maternity and psychiatric. By the time we got back to Boise, and I drove home from the statehouse and was in my bed with my eyes closed, it was 2am. I'm tired this morning, but am grateful that I had one of those days where I was in the right place at the right time, a few times. Thanks Amber.

No comments: